Monday

Treasures

This summer I took a babysitting job involving me vs. four girls plus a Rottweiler puppy.  Not exactly the easiest task for an inexperienced babysitter to say the least. Yesterday the smallest child burst into angry tears for a good ten minutes because one of her sisters would not let her play with a large stick that she had found. A stick! I looked her in the eye and said, “It’s a stick. Just a stick. Why is it so important that you would throw a fit and get mad at your sister for it?” Trying to implicate just how silly she was being, her face finally cracked a smile and she forgot about it.

I know there are many things I cling to, making me forget about the ones Christ calls me to love in the shadow of these silly things. It’s not just about getting your priorities straight, since some things are important and good. It’s more about allowing Christ to show you how much more important He is than these, and how everything can be taken away in a second. What do you cling to that keeps you from listening to Him?

 

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.

-Matthew 6:19-20


Blessings.

Posted by Erinn Waldo