Saturday

Mother

I have caught glimpses on TV news about the 10 year anniversary of the death of Princess Diana. I think there was a commemorative service in London and Paris this week. I recall the day and the week. It was also the week that Mother Teresa died.

She is in the news a bit this week too, but from a different slant. A new book is about to be released which brings to light letters and journals she wrote during her life. For many years she wrestled in a "dark night of the soul" so to speak. Many of the "greats" in church history have done so.

A couple of quotes from the book entitled, "Come be my Light"

“I have no faith. I dare not utter the words & thoughts that crowd in my heart & make me suffer untold agony,” she wrote in an undated letter. And in 1956, she wrote: “Such deep longing for God and ... repulsed empty, no faith, no love, no zeal. Heaven means nothing. Pray for me please that I keep smiling at Him in spite of everything.”

Seems to me to be a beautiful thing, to have doubt, to speak about it and to ask people to pray for you. And that you keep smiling at God in spite of everything. That sounds like a healthy Christian worldview to me. Knowing there is a heaven, but admitting at the moment it means nothing is rich and real.

I look forward to reading book and I encourage you to read about the saints of old as well as to examine your doubts, speak them out, get someone to pray for you. They won't just go away, even for the holiest of us. Blessings