Friday

Maya Angelou

"We do the best we can with what we know, and when we know better, we do better" - Maya Angelou.

I like this quote. Even though it is a bit of wishful thinking, it causes me to think. Those of you who read regularly know I do not believe we can just try harder and do better. Having said that, I think we should do the best we can with what we know and we should strive to know more so we can do better. When we don't repentance is easily had.

So, are we doing the best we can with what we know? Good question. We know Jesus is real, He rose from the grave, the Spirit is moving etc. Are we doing the best we can with that information? No guilt trip here, but we have do have ALOT of knowledge that we can "do the best we can with."

Next question: How and when do we "know better?" By studying, learning, being in discipleship, prayer...the usual disciplines. Knowledge is not always easily gained.

Last question: Do we do better when we know better? I hope so. But sometimes knowledge can "puff up" as opposed to enabling us to do better in the areas of loving and serving.

So, this weekend I am reflecting on the fact that I am really trying to do the best I can with what I know and I am trying to learn more so I can do better. One place I want to be sure and look to learn is the heart of Jesus. He knows better than anyone and He always does the best He can.

Blessings