Tuesday

Hub Caps

I took my car into the shop, because it needed back brakes. The repairmen must not have put the right, back hubcap on well and it came off somewhere between the shop and home (yes, I have re-traced my steps to no avail).

So, my car is now missing a hubcap, and it looks sad. I have to admit, it causes me to be a bit embarrassed for it. After all, it is a 1992 Volvo that has been through much pain and suffering already.Now it looks like it has a black eye, like it is poor, like somehow it is less than the other cars on the road, like it is second class, not worthy of sitting next to a Mercedes or even a Chevrolet.

One hubcap missing. It reveals alot and it makes a huge difference.

So today I am thinking about my hubcaps. What do I have that "covers" my dirty wheels from the outside? What do I have that, if it was stripped away, would make me feel less worthy? What would cause me to be embarassed?

The truth is God sees us without our hubcaps on. No ornamentation can dress up what is underneath. We are poor and needy and we are valuable. We are worthy, not because of how we look but, because of Who owns us.

I own a 1992 Volvo. She has been redeemed again from the auto mechanics pit and I will get a her new hubcap. Just because I "will" to give her one. It is my good pleasure to do so. I know what she looks like underneath, but she is my Volvo.