Friday

Quo Vadis

A little Latin for you today. "Quo vadis?" is the Latin for "Where are you going?" Thoreau on his deathbed was asked the question by a preacher. "One world at a time," he replied.

In the 16th chapter of John, the disciples did not think to ask Jesus, so he mentioned the lapse, "Now I am going to him who sent me, yet none of you asks me, 'Where are you going?' Because I have said these things, you are filled with grief." They were just beginning to be in a state of shock and they were thinking of the here and now. No thought for where they or Jesus might be going. One world at a time.

Jesus went on, "But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me; in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned."

So Jesus has left, gone to be with the Father and the Holy Spirit has come. He is convicting the world of guilt in regard to sin, righteousness and judgment. The world may have been a prisoner to sin, but the one who "owned" the world is now condemned. Conviction is readily apparent. Righteousness has been revealed. We can no longer say, "One world at a time" the two are inextricably linked.

Quo Vadis? Where are you going. Yes, I mean eternally and I mean this weekend. Will you go to a place where you can be convicted of your need, a place where the righteousness of Christ can be further revealed to you, a place where you see that the prince of this world has been condemned and he has no power over you? Will you refuse to say, "One world at a time?" I am hoping to.

Something to think about. And the Latin is always helpful if you want to impress your friends :) Worship Well.