Monday

Where did I put the box?

A few weeks ago many of us took boxes home to help us think about praying, giving, going and connecting with our partner countries. I have to say (without being too self righteous) I went to a partner community. I also have to say (without being too guilty) I saw the box on the top of our washing machine. Usually stuff that gets there is on its way out to the garage and then....

So I am thinking a bit today.

I was reading in Numbers about the tribes who wanted to stay on the other side of the Jordan. Reubenites and Gadites. The land was good enough for them and they saw it as their inheritance. Moses rebukes them (all this in Numbers 32) because everyone else is going off to take land for the kingdom. The Reubenites and Gadites would be safe and all others would be at risk. After some discussion they understand and agree to go.

I thought about this passage in light of the church today. Helping others when you have already received your inheritance. It sounds like the gospel centered thing to do; if you really know that you have received an inheritance. For those of us in the American church we may have to be reminded of it often and reminded of our box. Our portion is Christ and we have been given a nice plot of land. Perhaps we really are called to pray, give, go where the kingdom has not advanced as far yet but, most everything in us will war against that. The old saying, "If you have a great idea, wait for a while and the inspiration for it will go away" is true. As is, "Every great idea eventually degenerates to a thing called work."

The Gadites and Reubenites were needed for the advancement of the kingdom. They went for a time with some resources and helped their brothers and sisters. Just something to think about as I look for my box.