Thursday

How will we pray?

This weekend we will pray. All of us together who want to will pray the "Lord's Prayer." It is very much known in Christian circles. I have said it many times rotely. Because I do not want to do that Sunday, I want to take some time now to think about it a bit, so I am not just regurgitating words.

"Our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name, Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven"

That is the first part. It is very much an "about Him" prayer. His kingdom, His will, His name. Then this:

"Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors."

On one hand it seems to be a turn to "us." Our bread, our debts, our debtors. But as I have meditated on it, I am thinking this part too is about Him. "Give, "forgive." He will also deliver us from the evil one. Why? Because His is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever.

It is all His and I think joyfully so. He is the one who restores health, reclaims marriages, heals or breaks hearts. He has the power. That leads me right back to the top. The good news is He is Our Father, my Father, your Father if you have been adopted into His family by receiving the gift of life from Christ.

I am glad He has the glory forever and I rest in Him as we head to worship together and pray this prayer. Lord, would You do a work in our hearts even now so that we will hallow Your name Sunday and every other day?