Friday

Turtle Joy

The Radman and I went to do business at the Winshape Cancer Ctr at Emory today. He brought up an interesting topic. How are we to know joy? Especially when we find ourselves in a hard situation. As we chatted I said, I am not sure I have much joy in my life. It is pretty ordinary. If joy is "an inexpressible delight" then I must admit I have little. In fact I wonder what it looks like sometimes.

When we got to the waiting area, we both commented on the fish/turtle tank. They have a large one there. Several hundred gallons I would guess and oddly, it has about the same number of turtles as fish. Every week we comment on how the water level seems to be going down.

As we sat waiting for our turn, she came bouncing out of the treatment area. Maybe 7 years old. A girl (it took me a minute to figure that out as she had no hair). Her grandmother had a small pink coat and that was helpful to confirm identification.

She ran past us, up on the couch to get a good look at the turtles. "There he is, my black turtle!" She giggled and squealed wth delight. Her grandmother said, "Yes, and look at the other ones!" They went on like this for a long time. Just enjoying the turtles and the fish and chatting. Then another surprise. A technician walked by. She saw him, jumped down and ran over to him to give him a big hug. "Had your treatment?" he asked. "Yes I did" she replied. They chatted for a minute more and then she bounded off with her grandmother six steps behind as she shouted "See you Monday!" to the technician, calling him by name.

So I saw joy (inexpressible delight) today. Turtles, and grandmothers and hugs and childlike faith combine to create super joy. Jesus said we have to become like little children. After today, the Radman and I get that concept a little more. Like children who love turtles and a Savior who loves His children. Thank you Jesus!