Wednesday

Staines

This is a bit premature, but over the Thanksgiving weekend we will (as part of the worship service) focus on the persecuted church. The reason I bring it up now is I want to ask all of you to think and pray about it before then. I have just listened to a tape of Gladys Staines whose husband and two young sons were burned alive by Hindu fanatics a few years ago. I can not seem to get it out of my head.

So I thought I would put some thoguhts on paper. Maybe that will clear my head a bit, because it is swimming. I am not going to share what she says or the story here, (got to come to church to get the good stuff) but, I am really reflecting on Jesus saying "But I tell you love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven."

That is what Mrs Staines did (and her 13 year old daughter). she prayed and she forgave. And quickly. I am wondering if we as a church are ready to pray for those who persecute our brothers and sisters. To forgive them. To bless them. To ask God to do a favorable work in them. I think so. I think we can come together on persecuted church Sunday and pray for our brothers and sisters AND pray for those who persecute them.