Sunday

They are not like us

Did you watch the Winter Olympics? Truly the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. Our hearts grieve for the young man who lost his life in the luge. It was good news that the organizers made modifications to increase safety. In the days after the accident, commentators talked about winter sports, extreme sports and the people who engage in them. One of the commentators said this, “They are not like us.” That made me think.

Anyone who will slide down a mountain at 90 miles per hour on the equivalent of two sticks, one stick, a small board or a soapbox derby car is not like us. What makes them do it? Is it the adrenaline rush, the need for speed, the glory of victory, the approval of men, the gold medal or the fame? My guess is it is none of the above. They have a deep desire to do their best, their very best. They want to give it all away and not leave anything on the table. They are extreme because they are passionate.

Now lets compare them to the ordinary Christian. Take me for example. Can I say that I want to give it all away, to die to self and to do my very best? Would those who do not believe in the Lord Jesus Christ say about me, “He is not like us!” Hmm. That causes me to think even more. What is it about me that holds back, that resists taking risks, that keeps me on the “bunny” slope? Lack of faith. That is the difference. In the natural realm, Olympians believe that good things will happen and they believe they can do what they set out to accomplish. It should be so much more true in the spiritual realm for those who believe in Christ. All things do work together for good to those who love God and are called according to His purpose. That would be me and you.

So where do we go from here? To the slope. Ask your self what is one thing in your life you have been fearful to do, that would be for His glory, and then ask Him for faith to move forward. The truth is we are not like them. We are becoming like Him as we keep in step with the Spirit and move forward in faith.

Worship Well