Tuesday

He mowed my lawn

The title says it. I have blogged before about Mr Woods, my neighbor across the street. His yard is perfect. He is 75 years old and still takes care of it by himself. Uses a drop spreader for the fertilizer. Broadcast spreaders are for amateurs.

So here is the story. My lawn has needed mowing, really. We went on Spring Break last week and we came home Saturday and I was dreading it. To top it off, my lawn mower had just been in the shop and when I got it home, it would not start @&*%#!! so I knew I had to take it to the shop, get it fixed, and then mow the grass this week.

I came home last night, and noticed the lawn was mowed. I thought, "Who could have done it?" My wife or daughters? No, the mower was broke. Maybe my wife had hired a lawn service company as an early Father's Day present? No. I asked my wife and she told me. "Charlie Woods thought he would do it, he was in church and they mentioned something about praying for us."

So he mowed my lawn. A 75 year old man came over and mowed my lawn. Just because. An act of service.

The gospel is everywhere I tell you. Look for it, expect it, recognize Him and thank Him.

We had a young boy come to our door tonight and knock. We let him in and ministered to him. The gospel is everywhere. The needs are huge, the opportunities abound for this:

TO TAKE YOUR EYES OFF OF YOURSELF AND YOUR LIFE AND FIX THEM ON SOMEONE ELSE.

That is what He did. He fixed His eyes on us; mowing, opening doors and more. So tonight I am reminded to change the direction of my gaze and fix my eyes on Jesus following His gaze as He fixes His on the world.