Thursday

Romper Room

A few would remember Romper Room. A kids TV show in the very early days. I barely remember it myself, except at the very end a nice young lady would look through a looking glass, that did not have a mirror in it. She would look "through" the TV and say, "Romper, bomper, stomper boo. Tell me, tell me, tell me, do. Magic mirror, tell me today. Have all my friends had fun at play?"

She would then say, "I can see Billy and Mary and Sally and all of you boys and girls out there!" As I recall she never said, "I see Randy!" Even though I hoped she would because she was nice and I wanted her to know my name and see me. She did encourage kids to mail their name in, so she could read it on the air, but I never did.

If this blog was the looking glass and I saw you, what feeling would describe you today? Having fun at play? If I had the magic "looking glass blog" perhaps I would look and say, "I see Billy, and is he stressed out! And Mary, she is stressed out too! and Randy, he is a wound a bit tight this week!"

For many, I find September and the first part of October are stressful. New ministry year, new school year, more traffic, end of year sales quotas looming etc. It is just crazy busy.

So what are we to do? A couple of thoughts have gone through my mind last night and this morning. Some of them hard ones.

1. I need to own my part of it. I do it to myself because I want to be liked and I have a hard time saying "no." I need to rest in my identity in Christ more.

2. I should have used my time better and not spent so much of it on inane things. I can start doing that now.

3. I need to remember that God has a looking glass and He is looking through it saying, "I see Randy, He is mine and I love Him. He does not need to overachieve to please me"

4. I need to repent and ask for a fresh gentle move of the spirit.

Maybe, your #3 would have a different fill in the blank between the quotes. A good thing to think about, because that is where you end and the gospel starts in your life. It is also the "de-stress" zone and it will help you with numbers 1, 2 and 4.

Jesus says, "Come to me all who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest." It may help you to sing that a bit. My friend Aaron set the text from Matthew 11 to music. www.aaronshust.com will get you there for a download.

Blessings and enjoy. And don't forget to look up, the sun is shining.