Sunday

Is He Angry?

Do you sometimes think God is angry with you? Or maybe you have a mindset that He loves you and would never really be angry with you. The first sentence is true. Sometimes God is angry with you. Now, I want to make clear that He never stops loving those He died for, but that does not mean that He does not have the right to be angry. How He handles His anger is another thing.

Why does He get angry? Because you and I do things that are offensive to Him. We mock Him. We treat Him like He is nobody. We break His law. All stuff He does not laugh about and say, "Oh those cute kids!" It angers Him.

So how does He deal with it? He brings consequences as He weeps and as He reforms us. His character and justice require that He not let sin go unpunished. We Christians might say, "Glad Jesus covered that!" True, but please do not use Jesus as a "get out of jail free card" by saying stuff like, "Well I confessed my sin and He is faithful and just to forgive me and cleanse me from unrighteousness." There can be consequences for offending the King.

Some are readily apparent. Some are subtle. Sometimes the consequence is, get this, "grace which leads to gratitude for no consequence." God decides, but whatever the consequence it is designed to lead you to an understanding that God is angry, but His anger lasts only for a short time.

Isaiah says it well, "In that day you will say: I will praise you Lord, although you were angry with me your anger has turned away and you have comforted me. Surely God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid"

It is a bit of a full circle. You are comfortable in the Lord, you sin, He is angry and you bear consequences. At some point you see that, repent, pass through and see that His anger has turned away. He is comforting you. That reminds you that He is your salvation.

I hope that is helpful. To not deny God's anger and at the same time to better see His deep love for those who are His, but who tragically offend Him often. Blessings