Thursday

Mantras

I was in a group today and the topic of mantras came up.

In far eastern religions a mantra "is a religious or mystical syllable or poem, typically from the Sanskrit language. Their use varies according to the school and philosophy associated with the mantra. They are primarily used as spiritual conduits, words or vibrations that instill one-pointed concentration in the devotee." Wikipideia

What does that mean? Hindus and Buddhists have found it helpful to repeat a phrase (chanting) to focus the mind and clear it from fixation on material things. How does that concern Christians? We do not believe in mantras or chanting.

Well our discussion revolved around the moment right before sin. What is happening in the brain right before you pull the trigger and sin? Sometimes I say to myself after the fact, "Self, what were you thinking? Were you thinking?" I often have to answer, "I don't know, I guess I wasn't thinking"

I am wondering today if it would be helpful to think. And maybe to have a phrase that I often repeat to myself that might pop up automatically when I am about to sin. A phrase like, "I am a son of the living God" or "Jesus loves you and would hate this" or "Lord protect me!" or "Jesus save!."

Augustine said, "Love God and do as you please." Mother Teresa once said, "I adore Christ every hour and then I go and look for Him." The ancients had a habit of praying when they heard the ring of the bell tower each hour. You get the idea. Our minds will wander. We need help.

James says, "...the man who looks intently into the perfect law...,not forgetting what he has heard...... he will be blessed."

So today I am thinking about how I can remember better. Because at the "pre-point" of sin, I want the Holy Spirit to grab me and stop me and I want to yell, "Help!" before, before, before the sin. Lord, would you give us presence of mind? Blessings