Monday

I want to be God!!!

“The best way to conceive of the fundamental project of human reality is to say that man is the being whose project is to be God" - Jean Paul Sartre

I want to be God. If you knew me, you might say, “Well there are moments when you act like it!” This is true. But more than you know or can see, I deeply want to be God. You see, I have become a bit like Him. I have
some of what He has, and I want more. I want more power, more knowledge, and more presence. I want what He has, and I am willing to do a lot of devious things to get it. I want to become God. Men want to become God. I know that is not the nice Christian thing to say or to think, but I think it is true. So what do I do with that? Do I join an accountability group and ask the guys to ask me question #6 each week; “Did you want to be God this week?” The answer is yes. The answer was yes last week, and it will be yes next week. I want to be God. What do I do with that? I am stuck, but I must press on.

God became man. I want to become God, and God became man. God said in effect, “You want to be God? I’ll become man. I’ll become sin. I will not consider equality with God the Father a thing to be grasped.” God became man. So what do I do with that?

Man wants to be God. God became man. Here is the kicker: Christ enables men to become like Him. Are we back where we started? No, we are on a whole new road. Sartre was right; our project is to be God. It started in the garden. We became like God then, in the sense that we knew good and evil. But, He did not let us taste of the tree of life. Since that day, every man and woman has wanted to get to that tree to gain eternal life. Every human who ever lived wanted to be God, through earthly power, a lasting legacy or even by discovering the fountain of youth.

But, something happened that day. Death entered the world. He said we would die, and we did. We would all die physically and spiritually. Those who are not in Christ are dead in their sin and trespasses. What about those who are in Christ? We who are in Christ carry death with us. Part of us, our sin nature, is separated from God, and what is separated from God is dead. That part of us, wants to be God. That is the part of us that wants to overthrow the king. Until we breathe our last breath, it will keep trying to usurp power, all to no avail and much pain. But, Christ has given us a new nature - Christ in us, the hope of glory. Our new nature wants to become like God too, but not in the same way. It wants to become like Christ. By the power of the Spirit, our new nature wants to be like Him.

Now that could be a good question to be asked each week; “Are you beholding Him and are you becoming like Him?” He wants that. He wants more of Him. He wants to make us into little Christs. That is the fundamental project of the blessed triune God, to make much of Himself.

One day we will see him face to face. We will be glorified. I can’t describe what that means or what it is. Somehow we will be able to stand in the presence of inestimable beauty and rejoice. We will be like Him. In the mean time, we can look to Him, ask Him to change us and pray that He shrinks that part within us that wants to usurp the crown.