Saturday

Prom

I escaped just in time. Four teenage girls and three moms were descending on my house at one o’clock last Saturday afternoon. My excuse? “I need to go and get ready for worship service.” 

“But you usually do not leave until three o’clock.”

“Well...er...uh...I gotta go!” and I was out the door.

That is a bit of an embellishment, but what would you have done men? Seven women getting ready for the prom. It would take until five o’clock to “do” all the hair dos. Curl, iron, spray, pin, comb, spray, giggle, talk, talk all at the same time, laugh, roll, unroll, re-do, and undo until the do was done. Then dresses
, shoes, earrings, purses, clips and jewelry would be added. Then pictures of doing the "dos" taken. A man has no place here.

As I drove to church I thought, “Thank God I am out of there!” And then this,
 “Every girl wants to go to the prom.”

Deep down, everyone wants to go to the prom, even men. We all want to belong, to be a part of the crowd. We don’t need to stand out necessarily, but we don’t want to stick out
. We want to be known. We want to be known, loved and invited. In high school, that is a tall order. In college, it is no easy task. In life, it sometimes feels like the impossible dream.

What is it about us humans that makes us want to be “in?”
 God created us in His image. He is the blessed triune God, and He put the desire for community in our hearts. We long for it, and if we don’t get the real thing we will settle for something less.

Maybe you are feeling lonely today. Perhaps you are thinking that no one loves you and that you have not been invited. For some of you
, I am sure the mention of prom brings back bad memories. Can I tell you that God loves you, and He says you can come as you are to His party? In fact, He will provide fine clothes for you to wear. He has made for you a cloak of righteousness that is adorned with reminders of His deep love for you. He will welcome you as you enter in today. He wants you to be part of His grand community. Don’t believe the lie that you are not welcome. You are.