Wednesday

Last Will and Testament

Did you know that many people do not have a will? It creates a lot of hassle and can create great animosity for those who are left behind. Who gets the silver and how about the china dishes?

So I suggest you make one! Now to the testament part. Note I titled this last will and testament. The will part is what you will to people. In the old days, when a person was close to death they would write out a testament. Kind of like a testimony to say what they believed and any last words. Here is John Calvin's and it is worth a read. It makes me want to write one.

www.reformed.org/calvinism/calvin_will.html

I have cut and pasted a bit for you here:

"First, I give thanks to God, that taking compassion on me whom he had created and placed in this world, he not only delivered me by his power out of the deep darkness of idolatry, into which I was plunged, that he might bring me into the light of his gospel, and make me a partaker of the doctrine of salvation, of which I was most unworthy; that with the same goodness and mercy he has graciously and kindly borne with my multiplied transgressions and sins, for which I deserved to be rejected and cut off by him; and has also exercised towards me such great compassion and clemency, that he has condescended to use my labor in preaching and publishing the truth of his gospel. I also testify and declare, that it is my full intention to pass the remainder of my life in the same faith and religion, which he has delivered to me by his gospel; having no other defense or refuge of salvation than his gratuitous adoption, on which alone my safety depends. I also embrace with my whole heart the mercy which he exercises towards me for the sake of Jesus Christ, atoning for my crimes by the merits of his death and passion, that in this way satisfaction may be made for all my transgressions and offenses, and the remembrance of them blotted out. I further testify and declare that, as a suppliant, I humbly implore of him to grant me to be so washed and purified by the blood of that sovereign Redeemer, sited for the sins of the human race, that I may be permitted to stand before his tribunal in the image of the Redeemer himself."