Tuesday

Selah Sojourner

It is a pause that hopefully refreshes. I find the psalms are helpful to that end. Take the 39th for example. David writes about trying to watch his ways, keep his tongue from sin and put a muzzle on his mouth but, he can not seem to do it. So what does he do? He asks God to give him perspective. "Show me O Lord my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life." That is a good perspective to gain.

Next David asks a great question, "But now Lord what do I look for?" Answer: "My hope is in you." Then he goes on to petition the Lord. He knows he can not do it by trying hard. God has to do it. David sees he needs to stop doing and start gaining perspective by looking at the Lord.

When we do that we will quickly move to repentance as David does. He asks for the Lord to relent and he asks the Lord to hear his prayer. Then this: "For I dwell with you as an alien, a stranger as my fathers were." David is saying that he is an alien on earth because his citizenship is in heaven. He is just like Abraham and the patriarchs. And we are just like him. We too are sojourners here and are in need of crying out to God for guidance, life change and comfort. Our hope is in Him and we can rest in that, wherever we are or whatever situation we find ourselves in.

As we move towards Palm Sunday, I encourage us to move towards remembering we are sojourners and our rest is in Him. Selah